Safe Communities at Elgas Deer Park
We are committed to being a good corporate citizen in the communities in which we operate.
Who are we?
Elgas operates a Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) storage, road tanker loading and unloading, cylinder filling and distribution facility on a site located at 61 Radnor Drive, Deer Park. Elgas has been operating in Australia since 1984 and is a subsidiary of the Linde Group, the world’s largest provider of gas and related products, services and applications technology.
The majority of LPG stored and distributed from the site is propane. We also store and distribute a small number of industrial gases, these are typically Oxygen, Acetylene, Argon, Carbon Dioxide, Nitrogen and a range of specialty gas mixtures.
Safety is our business
The Occupational Health and Safety (Major Hazard Facility) Regulations require MHF sites to develop a Safety Case which demonstrates to the relevant authorities and the local community that:
- The site is operated in a safe manner
- Measures are in place to prevent and effectively manage major incidents
- Risks to personnel and property are reduced so far as reasonably practicable
We are committed to safe operations in order to protect our people, the public and also our businesses.
We developed our Safety Case in consultation with WorkSafe Victoria and various internal and external stakeholders. The Safety Case includes information on:
- Site details
- Materials kept or likely to be kept on site
- Identified hazards and associated control measures
- Potential major incidents
- The potential magnitude of a major incident
- Consultation processes
- Emergency response
In our Safety Case we demonstrate that:
- All hazards on our site have been identified
- We have control measures in place to prevent a major incident from occurring.
- In the unlikely event of an incident occurring, we have controls in place to mitigate the incident and prevent it from escalating.
A summary of the current version of the safety case is available at the local library. Further information on Major Hazard Facilities and the Safety Case, in general, can be found on the Victorian Governments website www.worksafe.vic.gov.au
In case of Major Incident
In the unlikely event of a major incident at the Elgas Deer Park Depot, a site representative or Victorian Police will contact you. If contacted (unless directed otherwise):
- Stay indoors, close windows and doors, and switch off air conditioners and exhaust fans
- Prepare to leave the premises
- Leave if asked to do so by the Victorian Police
do NOT try to get closer to the incident. Victorian Police will assume control of any incidents requiring emergency services response. The site is constantly manned; an initial emergency response will be provided by Elgas until the Police assume control. If you would like more information about our site or would like to discuss any specific issues with us, please contact:
You can contact your local Elgas on 131 161
Elgas 24 Hour Emergency Line: 1800 819 783
Emergency Services: 000
If you would like more information about our site or would like to discuss any specific issues with us, please contact:
Depot Operations Manager (Vic/Tas)
120 Greens Rd
Dandenong Vic 3175
Phone: (03) 9767 4318
Plant Manager Deer Park
61 Radhor Drive
Phone: (03) 8372 6796
Deer Park Aerial View