Forklift Gas Bottle Changeover Procedure
Learn the safe and proper forklift gas bottle changeover procedure.
Get your free step-by-step guide to safely change your forklift gas bottles.
Also, watch this quick (4:18) video...
What's What on a Forklift Cylinder:
Step-by-Step Forklift Cylinders Removal & Installation
1. Make sure you park the forklift in a safe designated area. Make sure there is NO SMOKING or other ignition source in the area.
2. Always wear your PPE: includes long sleeves, fully enclosed shoes, PVC coated gloves and eye protection.
3. Turn the empty gas bottle clockwise to the off position.
4. Disconnect the gas line by unscrewing the connector anti-clockwise. Be aware a small amount of gas may be released from the gas line when disconnected.
5. Release the brackets that hold the gas bottle.
6. Remove the empty gas bottle from the forklift. Be sure to use safe lifting procedures.
7. Place the empty cylinder down using the safe lifting procedure.
8. Store the empty bottle in your designated safe storage area. Always store in an upright position, even if you believe the bottle to be empty.
Remember to call us on 131 161 to order more gas.
1. Once again, be sure to wear the specified PPE. Check cylinder date. LPG gas cylinders must be approved. The most current date stamp must not be older than 10 years.
2. Be sure the main valve on the full gas bottle is fully OFF. Check the O-rings in the connectors to be sure they are in good condition.
3. Using safe lifting procedures, place the full gas bottle centred in the brackets, on forklift.
4. With the Pressure Relief Valve located at the 12 o’clock position. When properly situated, secure the gas bottle by engaging the brackets. Make sure the straps are tight and secure.
5. Connect the gas line to the gas bottle. Turn firmly clockwise to tighten the connection.
6. Turn the main gas valve ON in an anti-clockwise direction.
7. Spray the assembly with a soapy water solution to check for any possible leaks.
If you see any bubbling or smell any gas, turn the valve OFF and recheck the connection and O-rings.
Do NOT leave the gas valve turned ON or operate the forklift if you cannot fix the leak.
If there is an Emergency
Emergency response number: 1800 819 783 or check for a number listed on your cylinder.
Elgas can be contacted 24 hours a day on: 131 161
For Emergencies (Police, Fire or Ambulance) contact 000
Free Forklift Changeover Manual
Create Your New Forklift Gas Account Now & Save!
Click to Create My New Account